Saturday, July 25, 2020

Caledonia Hotel - 1/87 scale drawings

I need a large hotel/boarding house for Scots' Landing. The design began as a drawing of the "Woodruff Iron Works and Machine Shop" from the March 1983 Model Railroader magazine.

     I scanned it into Photoshop®, recolored and applied clapboard siding from Clever Models, and then added windows and doors from my "digital parts box." Inspiration came from Vilius Bilelsis's build of Micro-Scale Models' McGee Hotel. I am in awe of Vilius's scale modeling, and I've used his photos more than once as the basis for my scratch-built cardmodels.

     Only three sides of the building will be visible on the layout. A hotel includes a lot of windows. Each one requires three parts: frame and two sashes. That can get tedious but I can sit in front of the boob tube and do them in a bunch. The name of the hotel and the tavern ("The Wee Dram") on the first floor are nods to my Scottish ancestors.




No comments: