Thursday, December 9, 2021

Armstrong Woolen Mill

 I am scratchbuilding a copy of the large structure from "Rust Rock Falls," a limited edition kit by FOS Scale Models. Working from photographs of the FOS model, I am building mine in paper and as a mirror image of the FOS kit. I made a few changes in the design and I will probably make a few more as I go along, to fit the space I have or to simplify construction. I am only modeling three sides, since the back side won't be visible on the layout. This is a photo of the FOS model from FOS Scale Models' Web site:


Below is the first wall I have completed (mostly) I will add corner trim and eaves trim when the walls are assembled. On the wall shown here, the heavy frame for the elevator is basswood, stained and sponge-painted. Everything else is paper. The walls are a texture sheet from Clever Models that I modified in Photoshop. I print the walls on 65# cardstock, laminate them to 0.5mm card (cereal boxes), and add lots of interior bracing. Windows and doors are from photos of the FOS model or from my "digital parts bin." (I collect digital images of doors and windows the way some people collect stamps.) 


Eventually, the model will be mounted on a hillside with a small dam beside it and a rocky ravine below it. For terrain, I will use chunks of foam, plaster rock castings, and lots of Sculptamold. It will be located about halfway between the two terminals on my U-shaped shelf layout.

The mill is named after Amy Armstrong, a long-time friend and spinner, knitter, and weaver. This mill replaces an earlier design (below) that I never built. I still like this design, and I might build it someday as a diorama. There won't be room for it on the layout.


I will post more photos as I make progress on the model.



No comments: