Monday, August 5, 2024

Scratchbuilding "Dexter's Dead End in Paper in 1:87 scale --- Part One

 


On ebay, I bought the instructions and templates for Fine Scale Miniatures' "Dexter's Dead End" (FSM Jewel Series #8), and I collected as many photos as I could find of the finished diorama. Some came from FSM, some from Vilius Bileisis' "Modeling Endeavors" blog, others from unknown sources.

My model is mainly paper & card, with some details (platforms & battens) of basswood. Wall and roof papers came mostly from Clever Models. Doors & windows came from my "digital parts box," and chimneys are from Tichy. It is an almost-exact copy of the FSM kit, with a few "cosmetic" changes. Building it took about two weeks of long evenings. 





My plan is to build the entire diorama as created by George Selios. I have two smaller buildings yet to build. I will try to finish the diorama in time for the annual model train show in Milwaukee in November. I've reserved a table there to display my paper scale railroad models.

This photo from Fine Scale Miniatures

I'm always looking for more instructions and templates from FSM, Bar Mills, FOS Scale Models, and other craftsman kits. If you have any sets to sell, trade, or lend, please let me know.  Originals only, please, no copies or scans. Copyrights matter.


No comments: