Monday, February 19, 2024

House & Sign Painting Co. -- HO Scale (1:87) Scratchbuilt Paper & Wood Model

This House & Sign Painting Co. is scratchbuilt based on Bar Mills Models' "Oakleaf Shipping & Storage" kit. The deck and stairs are basswood. The deck is individual planks laid on Fos Scale Models' Waterfront Pier System, which makes spacing and gluing pilings a snap. If you're doing a waterfront scene with lots of piers, I highly recomment the FosScale Pier System.

 The buildings on this model are made with building papers from Clever Models laminated to ½-mm card (cereal box). The signs come from various sources. Overall, the model is 8½ inches wide, 6 inches deep, and 4-1/8 inches tall at the roof peak. 

I build my stairs on a jig made from scrap stripwood and a section of Central Valley Model Works' stairs. With the jig, I can easily build staircases of almost any width and length. I stain my basswood with Hunterline Weathering Mix. I have seven shades of gray-brown for different effects from lightly weathered wood to creosote ties. Their stains are not cheap, but a single bottle goes a long way. I also have a homemade alcohol-&-shoe-dye weathering mix that I use for dirty weathered wood — John Allen's recipe, I think, or was it Wayne Wesolowski's?









No comments: