Sunday, May 30, 2021

Witt Manufacturing - 1/87 Scale -- A Tribute

 Witt Manufacturing is my scratch-built copy of one of the buildings in FOS Scale Models' "Printer's Row" limited edition craftsman kit. The corrugated metal came from Paper Creek (no longer in business); wood siding, tarpaper roofing, and brick pavement are from Clever Models. I used Photoshop to make the roofing lighter and more faded. The tall chimney is a soda straw wrapped in paper -- a printed metal texture from texturelib.com. Details come from Walther's and Fine Scale Miniatures. Windows and doors paper are from my digital parts bin.


The fire stair is basswood with railings from Caboose Industries and risers from Northeastern. I painted it medium green, weathered it with my alcohol-&-leather-die wash, and dry-brushed it with rust. The landing has an open grid made with mesh fabric.

The walls and roofs of my scratch-built structures are 0.5mm card (cereal boxes) covered with texture papers and braced heavily inside with basswood and balsa.

My friend Roger Witt was a member of our IPMS chapter in Oshkosh, WI and a skilled and prolific scale modeler. He built railroad models for hire and mostly WWI aircraft for fun, casting and scratch-building lots of details as he went. I learned a lot of "tricks" from him. Roger passed away in 2020 and the IPMS chapter is holding a scale model contest in his memory. This is my entry.



In the FOS kit, the low wall butts against an adjacent building. I added the metal door and the large exhaust vent -- both paper -- from my digital parts bin.


No comments: